Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Setting a Date, Part 1

After one gets proposed to, one has to field a lot of questions. These questions range from "Can I see your ring?" to "Am I invited to your wedding?" (eek! bad manners alert there) to "Have you set a date yet?" Within 24 hours of becoming engaged, I think that I was asked about the date at least 5 times. I decided that we should wait to set the date and just enjoy being engaged. It was, after all, December and we had lots to do in terms of holiday preparations and spending time with our families. This dateless bliss lasted no more than two weeks. You see, I am a planner by nature, a rather extremely anal planner. I love my to do lists almost as much as I love checking items off of them. It was impossible for me to sit back and enjoy the moment when I had a large event to plan.

So my fiance and I started discussing the season we saw ourselves getting married in. We both felt like autumn would be ideal. I had always dreamed of an autumn wedding in New England, where I grew up. The hills awash in color, the crinkling of leaves underfoot, pumpkins, an outdoor ceremony with a hint of chill in the air, the long shadows cast by the sun in the late afternoon, and that smell of autumn. I don't know about you, but I think autumn has a wonderful smell--the smell of decaying leaves and the crispness of colder air. Bridesmaids would be in deep red dresses and orange, yellow, and brown would be the accent colors.



As you can tell, this little fantasy of mine was well thought out. I think my fiance liked the idea because we could still have an outdoor ceremony but without the heat of summer. He despises heat, which is odd because we do live in Florida. Well, as often happens, the realities of life got in the way of my fall fantasy wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment