Saturday, July 18, 2009

The hunt for a venue begins . . .

We had pretty much decided upon a winter wedding. That is not to say I didn't change my mind a few times. My FI and I briefly considered having the wedding in Gainesville where we live. There is a gorgeous chapel on the UF campus or numerous parks and gardens with live oaks that would make a great backdrop to a ceremony. One of these gardens was only a few blocks from our house. Well, my mom quickly axed that idea. Having her family there is very important to her, and they would not travel that far. They are always taking road trips but I can't honestly remember the last time I heard one of them taking a plane. So we were going to have the wedding in New England, which is what I had always fantasized about anyways.

I was going home for the Christmas holidays, so we decided to scope out a couple venues then. I just had to decide on where to visit. I am not sure when my FI and I decided that holding the reception in a barn would be prefect for us. I wasn't even reading wedding blogs then, so I had no idea that barn weddings are becoming common. A barn would have the perfect laid back, rustic vibe we wanted (note: it seems our style is moving away from rustic, but you shall see). A barn seemed like the best replacement for the outdoor wedding we envisioned if we got married in another season. We are definitely outdoorsy people and a grand ballroom or hip loft wedding is not our style.


Before going home, I spent hours on the internet looking for New England barns one could hold a wedding in. I focused my search on Vermont, my favorite state, and Massachusetts, where my family lives. I found that New England does not not a shortage of barns to hold a wedding in, but it does have a shortage of barns able to hold a 150 people reception in the winter. Place after place I called had a guest limit under 100 in the winter (in the summer they augment the space with tents) or did not have heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment