Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Setting a Date, Part 3

Autumn was out. Now when? I was sad that my fall fantasy wedding would not become a reality. Spring did not excite me especially because where I wanted to get married in New England, spring doesn't really start until late May and I would have to go back to Alaska in June. I hated the idea of getting married and then leaving my new husband for three months. I really wanted to experience those first months as newlyweds together. And summer was out due to my research duties.

It was my mom who suggested the obvious. I was on the phone with her one night, as I was almost daily during that time when we were excitedly exploring possibilities for the wedding. (As you will see later, my mom is incredibly crafty and talented and I highly value her opinion). She mentioned a winter wedding and then described the scene--fresh snow on the ground, candlelight, evergreen boughs as decoration, a horse drawn sleigh, hot cocoa with marshmallows, the bride wearing a cape and a muff! (A muff?! I was in love). It was so romantic, so different from any wedding I had ever imagined. I thought about how cozy it would be to be surrounded by family and friends in the cold, dark days of winter. That was it, my imagination ran wild and I was set.


I just had to convince my fiance and my mom. My fiance loved the idea of an outdoor ceremony. We both work a lot outside and are employed in nature-related fields so being outdoors would mean a lot to us. I was partly able to convince him with this weird argument: tons of couples not as into the outdoors as us get married outside, so us getting married outside would not really prove our love of nature. I also asked what if it rained? I saw the realization in his face as he imagined my reaction if our outdoor wedding was rained on. He knows what a planner I am and knows that I don't handle surprises well. It was then that he agreed to a winter wedding. My mom soon regretted bringing up the idea. A rather constant worrier, she worried about how guests and vendors would be able to get to the wedding if it snowed. (Another weather unknown but I was so enthralled with a winter wedding that I overlooked it). She did, however, like the idea of having it around Christmas, when her family was sure to be around.

It was with the winter season decided upon that our search for a venue commenced.

No comments:

Post a Comment